Catedral de Santa María de Tui:

The catedral is the best example of the cultural heritage of Tui. Its construction began in the Romanesque period ( 12 C ), to which style correspond:

  • the floor plan,
  • north door and
  • capitals.

In contrast, the west front has Gothic features, one of the first Gothic works in the Iberian Peninsula. The temple was consecrated by Bishop Esteban Egea in 1225.

The interior contains a remarkable retable and the altar of the Chapel of the Relics, both from the 18 C. In the high altar is the choir, created by Castro Canseco in 1699. The Chapel of Santa Catalina houses a museum with pieces that belong to the Catredral Treasure. Among these pieces are a 15 C pyx, a 14 C carving of the Virgin, known as the Patroness and a fragment of the old stone altarpiece dating from 1520.

The cloister, unique in Galice, is a beautiful work of the Gothic. The Sotomayor tower and the 12 C Chapter House command panoramic views.

East fachade:

  • Cathedral Archives
  • Diocesan Archives
  • Cathedral Museum


Puente Internacional:

 The town of Tui is best known as a frontier town. The history of the town has always been associated with Valença do Minho, on the other bank of the Miño river, in Portugal. The old Puente Internacional, built by a Gustave Eiffel´s disciple in 1884, conforms the typical landscape of the Tui-Valença surroundings. At present, there is another bridge between Spain and Portugal, the road from Vigo to Tui that joins the road from Valença to Lisboa.

The bridge that spans the Miño, connects the historic villages of Tui and Valença do Minho, both by road and railway. It was officially inaugurated in 1886. The bridge is made up of a long lattice structure of metal, supported by heavy stone piers –at first meant to be made of metal-. The metal pieces were previously constructed and then put on the ground with no other supports. Today the bridge is in a good condition.

Casco Viejo de Tui:

The historic town was declared Monumental Site of Historical and Artistic Interest on 19 August 1967. The numerous religious constructions prevail, -the fortress-cathedral, the most outstanding-. It was built in the Gothic style with Romanesque features.

The façade has a rich ornamentation. Some of the interior chapels contain Baroque retables. The cloister was created in the Galician Gothic style. The Soutomaior tower, at a corner of the cathedral, was built in 1408.

Along the narrow steep alleys of the old town that descend to the Miño are the emblasoned houses that testify to its rich past. The Convento de las Encerradas, a convent founded by the Clares in 1508, contains a 18 C church. Other monuments include the Santo Telmo church, of Portuguese Baroque style, the San Bartolomé Church, with 16 C paintings, and the Convent of San Francisco, from the late 18 C.

Main monuments:

  • Cathedral of Tui: Gothic and Romanesque styles, from the 12-13 C.
  • Cathedral Cloister: Galician-Gothic style, 13-14 C
  • Convento de las Encerradas Estilo: Renacentista Datación: S. XVI y XVII
  • Convento de las Encerradas: Renaissance style, from 16-17 C.
  • Convent of San Francisco: Portuguese Baroque style, 18 C.


Iglesia de Santo Domingo de Tui:

 Construction began in 1329. The cross-shaped floor plan has three apses and a central nave with three sections. The Gothic apsidal ends and transept contain the sepulchres of the Sotomayor family, created in the same style.

The Neoclassical nave and Baroque façade were built in lated periods. Inside are two magnificent retables: the largest, created by Antonio del Villar in the 18 C, has an exhuberant style; the retable of Virgen del Rosario, in the south transept, represents the Lepanto Battle on its upper section. This church and the remains of the convent served as the pantheon of the noble families of Tui: Soutomaiores, Correas, Ozores.


Iglesia de San Bartolomé de Rebordáns:

The 11C church was built over the remains of Roman and Germanic constructions. With a basilica-shaped ground plan, the church comprises three naves and three apses, semicircular the central one and rectangular the other two.

The historiated capitals were created in a primitive style. The high altar contains frescoes from the 16 C. In the 12 C, the church served as cathedral, and two councils were held here.

The church also served as chapel of a Benedictine monastery, and later it was used by regular canons. In 1435, it became the parish church.


Capilla de San Telmo:

Unique example of the Portuguese Baroque in Galicia.

The small 15 C chapel was remodelled by the Portuguese master Frai Mateo de Mosteiro. The interior contains a stripe dome and an altarpiece.

Between the 1996 and 1997, the church underwent a complete process of restoration.

An archeological excavation found the remains of houses on San Telmo street.



Convento de las Encerradas:

 A Baroque convent from the late 17 C.

Note the Baroque doors in the church and convent. Interesting grilled windows.

Located in pleasant surroundings of Medieval and Baroque houses. Visits to the convent are not allowed.




Ermita de San Xiao:

Built in 1713 over the remains of a Romanesque temple.

The exterior comprises buttresses, simple doorway with semicircular arch and bellgable. The hermitage has a long nave, quadrangular apse and side sacristy.

It is located in the summit of the Aloia mountain, a landscape of exceptional ecological features.



Convento de San Francisco de Tui:

 This Neoclassical temple has three naves.

The bell tower is made up of two sections, barely decorated.

Its interior is mostly Baroque in style.



Museo Diocesano de Tui:

 Housed in an 17C hospital for pilgrims and the poor. It includes three sections: the archeological section includes a Roman sarcophagus, a singular Celtic helmet dating from 3 C B.C. found in Caldelas de Tui, and other founds. The section of Religious Art includes works from churches of the Diocese, such as a Romanesque sculpture of Christ from the 12 C and the silver urn of the Santísimo O Porriño. The museum also houses a small picture gallery.


  • 1,80 €.
  • Includes visit to the museum
  • Special charges for groups

Opening hours:

  • 1 June - 15 October
  • Tuesday - Sunday: 10 am-1.30 pm & 4 pm-8 pm
  • Closed Mondays



Museo Catedralicio de Tui:

 Inside the Catedral of Tui, of Romanesque-Gothic style, this museum comprises the collection of the Cathedral Treasure. This includes processional sceptres, chalices, sacred ornaments and numerous images, such as that of the Virgin holding the Child. In the Gothic cloister are displayed objects found in archeological excavations: pieces from the former Romanesque chancell, Medieval sarcophagus, Visigothic tombstones and the former grills of the cathedral

From the Torre del Homenaje, you can have a far-reaching view of the Miño, the town and Portugal.


  • 1,50 €
  • suplement of 0.30 € to visit both museums


Opening hours:

  • 1 October-30 June : 9.30 am-1.30 pm and 4 pm-8 pm
  • 1 July-30 September: 9.30 am-1.30 pm and 4 pm-9 pm
  • Open at midday for some weeks in season